Millions of Americans suffer from migraines or headaches, including children and young adults. Migraines are a leading cause of disability, according to a study published by Global Advances in Health and Medicine. Research also confirms that spinal manipulation is an effective headache & migraine treatment. Our chiropractor in Deerfield Beach, FL, can utilize spinal adjustments and corrective spinal care to target the underlying cause of your headache or migraine.
Headaches vs Migraines
A headache causes pain in the head, face, or upper neck of varying intensities. Migraine is a headache disorder and is typically more intense and debilitating than regular headaches. Migraines present with "aura" (warning symptoms) or without an aura. Warning signs include sensitivity to light or smell, nausea, and upset stomach. Migraine without aura is more common.
Types of Headaches
Tension-type headaches and cluster headaches are common types of primary headaches.
- Tension headache: A tension headache feels as if a tight band is around your head. A dull, aching, or throbbing head pain is also common. This type of head pain can be episodic, or chronic (occurring 15 or more days a month for at least 12 weeks).
- Cluster headache: Cluster headache causes pain on one side of the head, usually above or at the back of the eye. They are called cluster headaches because they occur in a series, typically every day for several hours, and may last for weeks or months.
Common Causes of Chronic Headaches or Migraines
Tension-type and cluster headaches are mostly associated with muscle tension in the neck from physical or emotional stress. While primary headaches (migraine, tension, and cluster headaches) are not linked to another condition, secondary headaches may be linked to the following underlying conditions:
- Repetitive stress injury
- Head injury or brain tumor
- Pregnancy (due to hormonal changes)
- Neck strain from whiplash or poor posture
- Nervous system dysfunction from misalignment
- Nerve interference in the cervical (neck) spine
Migraine and headache triggers include hunger, stress, lack of sleep, anxiety, bright lights, and loud sounds.
Headache & Migraine Treatment From Our Deerfield Beach Chiropractor
Dr. Michael Bartell will examine you thoroughly to figure out the root cause of your symptoms. Diagnostic tests may include a spinal x-ray and neural test.
Headache & migraine treatment can include realignment of the spine to remove nerve interference and improve nervous system function. Spinal realignment also reduces tension and inflammation linked to headaches and allows the body to naturally heal.
Exercises, stretches, and relaxation techniques also provide extended pain relief. Some patients may benefit from nutritional advice to boost immunity and lifestyle advice on good posture practices and stress management.
Call Bartell Chiropractic Life Center Today!
Ask our chiropractor at Bartell Chiropractic Life Center in Deerfield Beach, FL, how you can benefit from routine chiropractic care for headaches and migraines. Call 954-426-3200 to request a consultation.